Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012 Year of the Snowy Owl

Jan.3rd 2012

Since last post i've been able to capture and band alot more Snowy Owls around Peace Country. Totals to date are 28 newly banded Snowies and 3 retraps from birds I banded a few weeks ago. I caught a HY(hatch year Male) from Dec.18 which is now a SY(second year) bird with the turning of the calendar year, it was retrapped 17 kms further south so these owls are still on the move if they haven't found a decent spot to maintain territory which is typical with young male Snowy Owls. The other was one I caught yesterday which was retrapped 2 kms east of its original banding location and after I investigated its old site I could clearly tell why, there were 2 large females hunting his old territory so they kicked him out which is also typical with females being more aggressive for territory.

HY Male

Here is a large female where he was banded back in December.


The majority of Snowies that have been banded have been HY females, here is one from a couple of weeks ago.


Most of these owls are in decent condition but I have come across 2 that I was concerned about. I have been feeding them voles that I have trapped just to give them some needed energy.



I'm hoping to band as many Snowies as possible before they depart Peace Region in March or April so that next winter i'll hear about one of these owls turning up somewhere else in the country or if I get lucky and retrap one of my own birds to determine whether or not they do come back to this place.

2 comments:

  1. I live in the Peace Country. My husband found an owl 2 days ago (dead, unfortunately). It had a band, I'm guessing yours. How do I contact you for more information?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This owl turned out to be the 3rd Snowy I banded back on Nov.24th 2011. She was atleast 3 years old making her an adult, the only female Snowy I've been fortunate enough to handle without any tail bars, sad state she was found hanging from a powerline a few miles further north from original banding location. Big thanks to Lizanne for reporting this bird!!!

    ReplyDelete