Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tracking Snowy Owls in Northern Alberta

Transmitters arrived and last weekend I was able to trap a suitable Snowy Owl to meet up with raptor biologist Mike Russell and our friend Syl to put the transmitter on that was shipped from Norway to Saskatchewan then to Peace River. I caught this adult male south of Fairview and we met each other to place the satellite transmitter.

It didn't take very long to put the transmitter on, Mike Russell has been placing transmitters on Barred Owls, Great Gray Owls and now Snowy Owls, after about half an hour it was secured to our Snowy which we named "Mike" after ourselves.

Syl Bourdages was very helpful in the process so I would really like to thank him for taking photos and lending a hand when needed!
Releasing Snowy "Mike"

Here is "Mike" as I found him 2 days before the first transmission from his receiver. Notice the antenna sticking out from his back.



And here is his first week of movements, he moved around a bit.

Thanks Dan for the maps and sending the transmitters.
Stay tuned for more updates as he tracks north back to the arctic this spring.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I guess I have spotted one of ur Owls u have a tracking device on...at first thought it was hurt until I loaded pic of it on to my laptop...it was sighted outside of Brownvale near Range 261 today after 2pm..thought u would like to know a friend told me about ur site :) was joy riding looking for any wilds to capture on camera for my freelance photography page..saw total of 4 owls today and a Beaver ha sure was a good day for me!
    Candel Landaker

    ReplyDelete