Sunday, June 24, 2012

Summer flying by!!!

Between fire season and time off, the weather hasn't been the best this summer. I had a total of 5 Long-eared Owl nests this spring and after banding the first two nests, I went back to check on the remaining three and they all failed. I honestly don't know what might have caused them to fail but I went back to check on them and the adults were no longer there.I know in previous years back home in Saskatchewan when it is wet like 40+ mms of rain wet the owls don't do so well. Here are a couple shots from the middle of May. Cruising around this part of NW alberta has been a serious past time, I couldn't beleive my eyes when I came across a Swainson's Hawk this far north, the male was a light morph while the female pictured below sitting on the nest was a rufous morph. I'm finding alot of new things up here, i'll have to start to publish some of my findings which include extended the range of SWHA's, Cooper's Hawks and Long-eared Owls in Alberta. Heading west of Peace River I was able to trap this male Rufous Red-tailed Hawk. Their nest was close by so I'm hoping to band their nestlings in a few days. On June.17 visiting one of my Saw-whet Owl nest boxes I was finally able to catch the female sitting on 6 eggs. She had a large brood patch and seemed in fairly plump shape weighing 125 grms. There were also 2 prey items in the nest. One deer mouse and a red backed vole. This was also the day the first of six eggs began to hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment