Sunday, January 4, 2009

Snowy Owls

November 25th 2008





Since moving to the City Of Kawartha Lakes 3 years ago I haven't yet managed to come across a single snowy owl until today. I found this HY (hatch-year) male sitting up on one of the poles at the Lindsay airport. I have been banding snowy owls since 2005 back in Saskatchewan, where i'm originally from and have been searching for these beautiful birds since I received my Ontario banding permits in 2006. This young male was in excellent condition weighing in at 1460 grms.







I am partnered up with a fellow bander doing a winter study on these owls for the remainder of the winter here within the City of Kawartha Lakes, Peterborough County and Simcoe County, if anyone has any sightings, I would really appreciate times and locations of SNOW's.
Thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment